I loved the brown vines because it matches the brown and green in the kaleidoscope blocks exactly, and when I realized it had little red flowers in it, I pulled out this red. Funny thing about the red- I have had it for a long time, but it wasn’t until I started working on it with my glasses on that I realized it had the little lines running through it!
I had less than ¾ yard of the brown vines, and about 2 yards of the red. I figured I would have to be a bit miserly with the brown, so I made 2” sashing between the blocks with it and made cornerstones out of the red to put all the blocks together-
By the time I had just a couple of rows together, I was loving the combination. Here it is with all the sashing-
This is so different from everything I have done so far- it’s got a more traditional look than I usually go for, which I didn’t think was my style, but I am really liking it. At this point, I knew I wanted a little more of that blue on there, but I didn’t have very much- just barely 10” selvage to selvage, but I sat down and figured out what size border I could do with it and came up with a ¾” finished size-
All that’s left is a wider border, which, since I have so much red, will be red. I am going to try to figure out how to put a little of the original green and brown fabric of the kaleidoscopes into the corners, but all I have left are some small wedge shaped pieces, so that should be interesting.
Oh – and I had one extra kaleidoscope block left that I can make a pillow out of - good thing I was miserly with all the other fabrics so I can still do that!
Alexis has told me she really likes this quilt top so she thinks I should give it to her since I have never made a quilt for her. <bad momma!> I’m thinking about it... we’ll just have to wait and see.