I have all but one side of Linda’s tote bag done – I just need to find the plastic stuff I am going to insert at the bottom to keep it flat and give it some stability. I have it around here somewhere, there are just a lot of piles and containers to look through to find it.
In the meantime, I was looking at that lovely green and brown flowered fabric I won from Springs Creative. I have always wanted to do something with a kaleidoscope block. I have had a kaleidoscope ruler for the longest time, but was never sure what material to use for it. I recently watched a video online about it, and I’m sorry I don’t remember whose video it was, but I found that I needed a large print and I needed to be able to get 8 strips out of it, all the same. Guess what? The material from Springs Creative gave me just 8 strips! So I started clipping it in the same place for each repeat of the design and started ripping it!
After ironing all the strips, I stacked them, using pins to try to line them up together exactly the same. I gotta say, this is not easy! I must have spent an hour trying to get them lined up, and get the torn edges trimmed away. But I finally got them to the point where I could cut them into wedges. I was so happy that I managed to get 13 stacks of wedges out of it- 12 blocks are perfect for a wall hanging, and I have one to spare in case of one of my screw-ups!
I jumped right in and sewed the first stack together and this is how it came out-
I will just need to figure out what size triangle I need to fill out the corners to make it square. I have a really nice brown fabric with vines on it that the colors look like they match, so that may be the one. I really like how it looks and I can’t wait to make the others – it will be fun to see how different they all come out. However, since I just had a class start Tuesday, I need to get some stuff done for that first before I can continue. Maybe tomorrow I will have a couple more together to share.