Friday, December 7, 2012

Simplicity 4391 - another day closer


Went shopping with Harry this morning at Sam’s Club.  That place is huge, but it seems even bigger when you are chasing a 2 year old around it.  But he is into one heck of a nap right now, so it was worth it!

So today brings me to the flap and the lining with pocket.  I started out by cutting the fabric and the interfacings, remembering to make the size adjustments I did with the body of the bag.  I attached a heavyweight fusible on the side with the Velcro and the fusible fleece on the outside piece.


Then I sewed the two pieces together, turned them and top stitched. (Please don’t look too close at top stitching)


Finally, it was ready to baste onto the bag- this was exciting, because you get the first real glimpse of what it will look like!


I just love these fabrics!

I pulled out the cotton I found for the lining – I lucked out with a remnant I found at Jo-Ann’s – I didn’t have a sample of either one of the main fabrics with me, but it looked like it had just the right amount of green and blue to it.  It is the exact same color as the lightest swirl in the swirl fabric.  I know it looks lighter in the picture, but trust me, it is perfect and it was just the right size for what I need.


The lining has a zippered pocket, with a patch pocket on top of it.  I decided to make the patch pocket out of the swirl fabric, just for a fun surprise inside.  Even though the directions don’t call for it, I interfaced the zippered pocket and the patch pocket with a very lightweight fusible interfacing.  (This is a really terrible picture!)


I folded the patch pocket in half, right sides together, and sewed around the open sides, leaving a small spot for turning.  I then started sewing it onto the inside pocket.  I got half way around, when I realized I had not reset my stitch length from basting the flap onto the body.  I took what I had done out, including turning the patch pocket inside out and restitched that seam.  Argh.  Good tip- always check your stitch length before sewing.  <sigh>

Here is the patch pocket finally sewn onto the inside pocket.


I am going to quit for the day.  I have managed to frustrate myself several times, and I have already decided to keep a tally sheet next to the sewing machine to keep track of how many times I poke myself with a pin or have to re-stitch a seam.  Perhaps having a count will remind me to be more careful in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of the many idiots on the Internet, comments are now moderated. Sorry.